History & Tradition
A Tradition of Service to Our Customers and Communities
United Bank has a proud heritage of providing quality customer service and offering innovative, yet sensible financial solutions for its customers. Our commitment to quality service goes beyond our customers to a real interest and concern for serving our communities at large.
Originally chartered as The Bank of Zebulon - Zebulon, Georgia, in 1905, United Bank has prospered and grown into a full service financial institution, offering a range of services from traditional banking to Internet securities trading. Today United Bank has 17 offices in the area south of Metro Atlanta from Griffin in the north to Barnesville and Thomaston in the south. The proximity of this area to the Atlanta Airport (42 miles to the north) and its convenient location between Interstate highways 75 and 85 to the east and west respectively has created a climate of growth and prosperity for our communities and United Bank.
A few of the milestones in the history of United Bank:
- 1905 Our first office opens in Zebulon – The Bank of Zebulon.
- 1935 The Bank of Zebulon becomes the 172nd member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- 1972 We establish Lamar State Bank in Barnesville.
- 1981 United Bank Corporation is formed as a holding company for our subsidiary banks.
- 1986 Lamar State Bank and the Bank of Zebulon change their names to United Bank.
- 1987 United Bank establishes a Mortgage Division.
- 1990 United Bank purchases First Federal in Griffin.
- 1994 United Bank opens its first grocery store branch, providing extended banking hours Monday through Saturday.
- 1996 United Bank opens a local call center that offers full customer service from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
- 1997 United Bank establishes the Investment & Trust Division to provide investment management for its customers.
- 1997 United Bank acquires the Thomaston offices of NationsBank, N.A.
- 2004 United Bank opens the Madison Division in an award-winning facility in historic Madison.
- 2006 The shareholders of United Bank Corporation elect to convert to a Sub-chapter S corporation beginning in 2007.
- 2007 United Bank enters the Covington market with two banking offices.
- 2008 United Bank assumes the deposits of First Georgia Community Bank of Jackson and Locust Grove.
- 2009 United Bank assumes the deposits and loans of First Coweta Bank expanding into the Newnan market.
- 2010 United Bank joins the Presto! Network, providing customers free and unlimited ATM transactions at more than 1,000 Publix Supermarket locations.
- 2010 United Bank opens new Griffin banking location located at 1340 West Taylor Street.
- 2010 United Bank assumes the deposits and loans of First National Bank of Barnesville.
- 2011 United Bank opens new Covington office at 7200 Highway 278.